Insurance Guarantee Fund
The primary task of the Fund is to meet claims arising from the compulsory liability insurance of motor vehicles holders and civil liability of farmers for damage caused on Polish territory:
- for bodily injuries – when the damage was caused in circumstances justifying the liability of motor vehicle holder or motor vehicle driver, when their identities have not been identified;
- for property damage, in case where the consequence is death of any participant , injury of an organ or loss of health that lasts longer than 14 days and the damage was caused in circumstances justifying the liability of a motor vehicle holder or motor vehicle driver, and when their identities have not been identified. In case of vehicle’s damage, benefit funds shall be reduced by the amount of 300,00 euro, determined by using the average rate announced by the Polish National Bank in the day of settling the compensation.
- for both personal injuries and property damage, if:
- the holder of the identified motor vehicle, the movement of which caused the loss, has not been insured by the compulsory insurance of motor vehicles holders (MTPL)
- the holder of the identified motor vehicle, the movement of which caused the loss, registered abroad in a country whose National Bureau is a signatory of the Uniform Agreement between the National Bureaus – Internal Regulations, has not been insured by compulsory insurance of motor vehicles holders (MTPL) and whose motor vehicle has not had any motor vehicle registration numbers or these numbers have not been assigned to that vehicle by the competent authorities at the time of the event;
- a farmer, a person staying with him in one mutual household or a person employed on his farm caused a loss resulting in death, bodily injury, health disturbance as well as a loss, a destruction or a damage of property and the farmer has not been insured by the compulsory insurance of farmers (TPL)
The Insurance Guarantee Fund meets claims of personal injury and property damage caused by uninsured motor vehicle holder, if the damage happened within 30 days from the date of vehicle’s purchase in the European Union and the vehicle should be registered in Poland.
For damages caused to foreigners – citizens of the countries whose National Bureaus are not the signatories of the Uniform Agreement between the National Bureaus – Internal Regulations, the Insurance Guarantee Fund shall pay compensation on the basis of reciprocity.
The Insurance Guarantee Fund does not pay indemnity to the injured parties if they can settle their claims under a voluntary insurance contract (e.g. own damage insurance, accident insurance – AC, cargo insurance, etc). In such cases the Fund compensates that part of the loss, which could not be recouped on the basis of voluntary insurance.